The Department of Mathematics wishes to appoint a Senior Teaching Fellow in Data Science, to be in post by September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter. The role will involve developing and delivering a suite of new Data Science modules, initially for the MSc Statistics Data Science stream and ultimately for a variety of programmes across Imperial College.
This is a 36 month fixed term contract.
Duties and Responsibilities
The post holder will work closely with Dr Seth Flaxman and other academic staff in the Department of Mathematics. The development of these new courses will involve liaising with Imperial’s Data Science Institute, Educational Development Unit, Digital Learning Hub, and strategic teaching fellows from other disciplines. The postholder will be expected to identify new pedagogical approaches to Data Science education, actively contribute to discussions on the Data Science curriculum related to their pedagogic expertise and work collaboratively with the Educational Development Unit.
The Essential Requirements for this post are as follows:
- A degree or equivalent and have completed (or are near completion of) a PhD (or equivalent qualification) in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a closely related field.
- A recognised teaching qualification (or nearing completion), or be able to demonstrate experience in a formal teaching environment.
- A specialist knowledge of Statistics, or closely related field, and of teaching methods and techniques within the field is essential.
- Recent experience and proven competence of teaching or tutoring in Statistics at an undergraduate or postgraduate level.
- Experience and familiarity with relevant Data Science tools (e.g. machine learning, deep learning, data visualization, natural language processing, R or python, C++ or Java, databases, version control)
- Recent experience with digital learning tools (e.g. video lectures, online course content, Jupyter notebooks / RMarkdown)
Informal enquiries about the role are welcomed and should be directed to Dr Seth Flaxman (Lecturer in Machine Learning and Big Data): email@example.com
To apply please visit: http://www.imperial.ac.uk/job-applicants/
Closing date: 22 June 2018
Should you have any general recruitment queries please contact:
Emily Michael, Senior HR Administrator on firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical issues when applying online, please contact: email@example.com
Committed to equality and valuing diversity, we are also an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and are working in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.
The College is a proud signatory to the San-Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), which means that in hiring and promotion decisions, we evaluate applicants on the quality of their work, not the journal impact factor where it is published. For more information, see https://www.imperial.ac.uk/research-and-innovation/about-imperial-research/research-evaluation/
Click here APPLY to download the application form